EMC has expanded its portfolio for commercial High Performance Computing (HPC) with the new EMC® VNX® HPC series, a preconfigured hardware and software appliance.
EMC Corporation has announced the new VNX HPC series, a preconfigured hardware and software appliance designed to simplify complex Lustre environments for commercial HPC customers. The VNX HPC series includes metadata and object servers, EMC VNX5100 metadata storage, VNX7500 object storage and the Terascala LustreStack software suite—delivering 10s of GB/sec bandwidth and 10s of petabytes of capacity. The HPC series expands EMC’s commitment to the HPC market, transforming and simplifying unified storage for commercial HPC.
The Lustre SAN file system—which was developed for, and powers, the world’s top supercomputers by delivering unmatched performance and scalability—is also known for its complexities associated with compatibility, deployment and ongoing configuration changes needed to deliver peak performance. Most commercial organizations that require the performance benefits of Lustre do not have the time, budget or required training to deploy and manage it. With the VNX HPC series, companies of all sizes in industries such as financial services, life sciences, manufacturing and oil and gas now have the option of utilizing Lustre with proven enterprise-class reliability and simplified end-to-end management. By focusing on simplicity first, EMC has made Lustre accessible, usable and cost effective for commercial HPC.
VNX HPC Series Technology Highlights:
Benefits of the VNX HPC series include new connectivity and scalability levels to meet the demands of Lustre workloads:
· · Bandwidth scalability: VNX HPC series offers a base configuration delivering 8GB/sec read and 5.3GB/sec write performance with bandwidth expansion modules for linear scalability beyond 10s of GB/s reads and writes as measured by XDD benchmark.
· · Capacity scalability: Supports 720 Terabytes and scales to 10s of Petabytes with the new capacity expansion modules.
· · Infiniband support: Adds high throughput and low latency Infiniband connectivity to the Lustre Parallel File System.
· · Increased simplification: Saves three to four weeks per year in deployment and upgrade time for a typical Lustre file system, with dashboard monitoring and single support contact.
· · Enterprise reliability: Delivers enterprise reliability with five-nines availability and worldwide support.
Tags: Disk/RAID/Tape/SSDs, Tiered Storage